Anand Elangbam

A real nutty character who is an epicurean to the hilt... someone who thinks life is how we perceive and conceive it, not what we've been offered, a lover of nature, wildlife and an environmentalist to the core... An amateur artist, photographer, writer and A total Music Buff...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chapter 3: My summer in Cornwall, England.






"My Summer in Cornwall," smilingly said the lady who took a picture of me on the beach of Bude, Cornwall. I felt such pleasure on reaching the place called Bude, via Exeter. The friendliness of the inhabitants combined with the beauty of Cornwall, often a favourite muse of many authors and painters made this trip a special itinerary on my list. I carried my beachwear, a rug, and my backpack with the hope of taking surfing lessons if the weather permitted. My expectations were more than fulfilled. I felt that it was off the beaten track of International Tourism as I did not see many Asians or Africans travelling with me except for some local tourists. One of the bus drivers I chatted with told me that he was a Londoner who decided to settle down in Cornwall because he liked the peace and quiet.Cornwall hills also happened to be a favourite of the Dutch according to him.

My journey from Coventry to Cornwall was an exciting but tiring bus ride in one of those very efficient national express buses. A commendable thing about the bus services were that they not only follow a strict code of punctuality, the drivers including women drivers also drove by themselves without a conductor and they took charge of every passenger's luggage without much ado. Every buses had a CCTV inside and outside. So, it was sheer pleasure to just look at the LCD screen as we criss-crossed some of the most beautiful English landscapes and cities. We stopped at Bristol for lunch, and it was bigger than most of the cities we passed through. I had to catch a local bus from Exeter to Bude. However, the bus driver informed me that he would not be driving to Bude directly and he gave me an option to either wait for the next bus or catch one from Launceston if I chose to travel with him. I chose the latter and soon as we careened towards our destination, I realized that I was the lone Asian in the midst of the locals who talked with a peculiar accent. The driver left me in a beautiful place called Launceston, after informing his colleague to pick me from there on his radio. Such friendliness and helpfulness of the drivers to a lone traveller was something I had never faced anywhere!

I realized that it was getting late and bought dinner from a Chinese take-away which I conveniently found adjacent to the bus stand as I waited for my next bus. Two friendly ladies also joined me latter and soon as I chatted with them, they asked me if I was a Chinese or a Mongolian! The local bus driver was a young chap and he had another woman colleague, and both of them looked up the map to locate my hostel address. They even stopped the bus next to the street closest to the hostel! On seeing an inn nearby, I entered and asked the receptionist if she could direct me to my hostel because I was kind of lost in the absence of any signs of the building itself. An employee having dinner there asked me to wait for few minutes and afterwards, he drove me to my hostel in his own car. I was really flattered and thanked him profusely for the Cornish hospitality.

The hours were late but I decided to check out the beach before I slept. So, I went out after checking in to my room. Bude took my breath away and the beach was just few minutes’ walk from where I stayed. I took my camera to take pictures and after a strong gust of wind, it soon started drizzling. I turned in to my cheap but very decent hostel for the night with a promise to try surfing the next day. I got up the next morning and on my way to the beach, I bought an outdoor jacket on sale while doing my morning photo shoot. It was cloudy and the lifeguard predicted an unfriendly sea for surfing and even though I a saw a couple of people surfing, I decided to spend my day visiting a place called "Clovelly."

Clovelly was supposed to be one of the most favourite tourist destinations. I got all the required information from their tourist information centre and got up on a local bus. Soon, I was on my way to Clovelly and again, I was dropped off in one place from where another bus took me to Clovelly. The City Centre through which we entered Clovelly charged about 7 pounds as entry fee.

The place turned out to be one of the most beautiful places I had ever visited. Once a fishing village, perched on the cliff with a vista of the blue ocean and home to the famous author Charles Kingsley, who once wrote children stories and a place which inspired Charles Dickens, Irish painters, as well as sailors during the great war and the second world war. I saw Charles Kingsley's museum which was the house he stayed in most of his life and like all the homes of the famous men and women of England I had visited, all the rooms were furnished in its original settings with many photographs and antique pieces.

The descent to the shore along the cobbled walk was amazing with interesting shops decorated with exotic and colorful flowers, restaurants and mules too! There were no sand on the beach, and it was stone pebbles that lined the shoreline to my utter surprise! After my tour of the place, I finally climbed up again and found to my trepidation that I was the only passenger to wait for the last bus. I shopped while I waited and bought souvenirs and a tent on sale again. As always, the bus came punctually right on time and with great relief, I returned to Bude all safe and sound.

On the last day, I had a hearty Cornish breakfast and English tea which had become an essential part of my trip before my return trip to Coventry and make plans for my next destination, Oxford.

To be continued.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 9, 2011 at 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sir,

This is Vaivhav here from AVS. Hope you remember me. you use to be our tutor, and you were an awesome one. Can never forget the Bhalukpong Trip we made with you back in the days.

This a great blog and its nice to know that you have visited Netherlands. It is like a dream destination.

 
At December 3, 2015 at 5:24 PM , Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20151204pandora outlet
uggs outlet
louis vuitton handbags
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap uggs
timberland outlet
ugg boots
fitflops
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet online
ugg boots outlet
cheap toms
north face jackets
gucci outlet
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet online
chanel bags
supra shoes
oakley sunglasses cheap
cheap uggs for sale
coach factory outlet online
abercrombie kids
oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
giuseppe zanotti
michael kors outlet online
air max 95
oakley sunglasses
air max 90
louis vuitton outlet
toms shoes
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
as

 
At February 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.02
nike air max, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, replica watches, burberry, louboutin outlet, nike free, christian louboutin outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, longchamp, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, uggs on sale

 
At February 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

nike roshe, vanessa bruno, nike air max, true religion jeans, sac guess, nike huarache, nike blazer, coach purses, burberry, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, lacoste pas cher, ralph lauren uk, nike roshe run, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, tn pas cher, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, air max, nike free, ray ban pas cher, hollister pas cher, michael kors, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, lululemon, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, mulberry, north face, nike free run uk, sac longchamp, air force, hollister, nike air max, nike trainers, ray ban uk, nike air max, new balance pas cher, michael kors, timberland, replica handbags, coach outlet, longchamp, hogan, louboutin pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, hermes, oakley pas cher

 
At May 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

macys michael kors
Michael Kors Outlet Online Store
lebron james shoes
jordans 11
nike air max 2016
nike air max thea
nike free run womens
nike free 3.0
christian louboutin boots
red sole shoes
mbt outlet
discount mbt Shoes
fitflop shoes
fitflop.com
Nike Air Huarache
Kobe Shoes
louboutin outlet
christian louboutin outlet
jordan 11 legend blue
jordans shoes
jordan releases
jordans 2016
coach outlet
coach outlet online
Michael Kors Online Outlet
michael kors handbags
Michael Kors Factory Outlet
michael kors outlet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home